McDonnell Center for the Space Sciences
The McDonnell Center for the Space Sciences was formally established in 1974 through a munificent endowment by James Smith McDonnell (1899-1980) and the McDonnell Foundation, of eight professorships, several fellowships, and research grants. It was further strengthened through another major contribution in 1987 from the Danforth Foundation. Today, the Center has grown into a consortium of more than one hundred members, with about 42 faculty and research scientists, 14 post-doctoral fellows and research scholars, 29 graduate students and 21 staff members. It stimulates scientists to work on fundamental problems in Space Sciences and Astro-Particle Physics, transcending borders between disciplines.